Sunday, August 5, 2007

my white-people bridal shower!

Aaron's family threw me a shower lately and I didn't realize that the objective of showers here in the US wasn't to send singledom status off nor welcome the formalization of a sexual partnership, but rather to prepare you for the home you were about to build. They gave me an array of chopping boards, cookbooks, utensils and other appliances (which I returned for cash because in this day and age I've learned that a sturdy home must be founded on well placed investments, over and above cleaning gadgets. Plus I'm just lazy and undomesticated :p).

The only person who had other thoughts was the grandmother. She gave me large aqua-colored underwear (hopefully not a family heirloom).


Exhibit A. A for Aqua Panty

2 other persons misunderstood the occassion: earlier this week I received a joint card from 2 aunts sendng a gift card to accompany their deepest regrets for missing the occassion. The apologies and salutations were written on a greeting card that read "babies are a joy..."

No comments: